Resources for Unemployed Workers
Resources for unemployed workers
- Unemployment Insurance: The Oregon Employment Department provides Unemployment Insurance benefits to most workers who are out of work through no fault of their own. To file an initial Unemployment Insurance claim, visit the Oregon Employment Department’s Online Claim System and follow instructions to file your new claim.
- Also available in Spanish.
- Current Unemployment Insurance in-person meeting requirements: If you are sick with COVID-19, call your WorkSource Oregon center to ask about alternative options for completing your appointments.
- Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA): Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) is a program created through the CARES Act that provides unemployment benefits to workers who are not eligible for regular unemployment insurance benefits, so long as their unemployment was connected to the COVID-19 pandemic. This program is available through March 14, 2021. PUA covers individuals who are self-employed, independent contractors, and those who do not have enough recent earnings to receive regular unemployment benefits.
- Visit the Oregon Employment Department’s Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (PUA) website to submit a PUA application and weekly PUA certification forms, and to learn more about eligibility.
- Note: if you are seeking PUA benefits and have previously applied for regular Unemployment Insurance, you do not need to file a weekly claim for regular Unemployment Insurance. You should, however, continue to submit a weekly PUA certification form.
- Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC): The Continued Assitance Act provides an additional $300 a week Unemployment Compensation that is paid in addition to and at the same time (but not necessarily in the same check) as regular state Unemployment Compensation benefits; if you’ve already applied for Unemployment, you do not need to reapply for the additional compensation. This additional payment does not affect eligibility for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program and is available from December 27, 2020, through March 14, 2021.
- The Oregon Employment Department began distributing the additional $600 benefits the week of April 13. Visit the Oregon Employment Department’s Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) website for further information.