Blumenauer to attend World Summit on Sustainable Development
"My focus will be on developing partnerships, promoting sustainable transportation systems, and spreading the word about Portland's efforts and successes in the area of sustainable development," said Blumenauer.
Blumenauer will attend the conference from August 27 through September 2.
The summit will be attended by tens of thousands of heads of State and Government, national delegates, leaders from non-governmental organizations, and businesses. Some notable leaders expected to attend the conference are: President Jacques Chirac of France, President Jean Bertrand Aristide of Haiti, President Vincente Fox of Mexico, Prime Minister Jean Chretien of Canada, Prime Minister Tony Blair of the UK, Jerry Brown of Oakland, and many more.
The following is a TENTATIVE schedule of events that Congressman Blumenauer will attend in Johannesburg, South Africa, next week:
Tuesday, August 27:
· Conference with the Coalition for Sustainable Urbanization and UN-HABITAT on implementing sustainable urbanization partnerships.
Wednesday, August 28:
· Speak to international students about sustainable urban transportation, sponsored by the Federal Transit Authority's Mass Transportation Program.
· Visit to an energy efficient home and eco-city in Mellville with USAID
Thursday, August 29:
· Speaking at the International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives conference on local government action.
· Press conference on renewable energy with environmental groups
· Conference on the role of parliamentarians in ensuring implementation and accountability in international agreements, sponsored by the Inter-Parliamentary Union
Friday, August 30:
· Speaking at the Parliamentary Workshop on Clean Air and Clean Water, sponsored by Parliamentarians for Global Action
· Discussion with students about US initiatives to create sustainable communities, sponsored by Greenpeace International
Saturday, August 31:
· Luncheon meeting on water for Asian cities with UN-HABITAT
· Bike ride around Johannesburg or Soweto
Sunday, September 1:
· Meeting on climate change with GLOBE (Global Legislators for a Balanced Environment), Rep. Tom Allen and other Members of Congress
· Conference on Corporate Accountability and Sustainable Development sponsored by Friends of the Earth
· Civil Society Workshop on Human Rights, Sustainable Development and Environmental Protection, sponsored by the Sierra Club and other NGOs
Monday, September 2:
· Opening Session of the Official UN World Summit
· Partnership launch of "Uniting for the Oceans: People, Oceans and Stewardship"
For more information on the World Summit on Sustainable Development, please visit the following website: www.johannesburgsummit.org
For more information on Congressman Earl Blumenauer's work in Portland, Oregon and in the U.S. Congress, please visit the following website: www.house.gov/blumenauer