Students and Education

If you have questions or concerns regarding a specific issue or problem that you are having, please contact the Congressman’s Portland office at 503 231 2300 or use the contact form on our website.


Frequently Asked Questions

Can the Congressman assist me with my student loan?

The Congressman has a designated person on staff that can assist you with public student loans – that is, loans issued by the Department of Education or Navient (formerly Sallie Mae). However, our office cannot assist with loans issued by private lenders/banks.


Are internships available in the Congressman’s offices?

Yes – for more information, check out our internship page.



If you're unsure you have a public sudent loan: 

Public Student Loan Servicers


If you are interested in applying for student loans:

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Federal Student Aid


If you would like more information about federal aid and direct loans for students:


US Dept. of Education’s information on student loans

Office of Student Access and Completion (OSAC)


If you would like more information on financing college and paying back student debt: 

American Student Assitance (ASA) - SALT


If you are a student and are interested in getting involved with community service like AmeriCorps and/or volunteer opportunities:

Corporation for National and Community Service

United We Serve


If you are interested in finding out how the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act applies to you:

Young Adults @