Travel and Immigration

If you have questions or concerns regarding a specific issue or problem that you are having, please contact the Congressman’s Portland office at 503 231 2300 or use the contact form on our website.


Frequently Asked Questions

Can the Congressman help expedite a passport application, even if your trip is in a few weeks or tomorrow?

The State Department has a process for expediting passports – both renewals and first time applications. While the Congressman and his staff cannot move your application along faster than the stated times, they can check the status of your application and give you guidance on the expediting procedures at the link above. If you live in the Portland area and need a passport in less than two weeks (or tomorrow!), the Seattle Passport Agency has a “walk up window” that provides same-day service for most applicants. You can make an appointment over the phone and as long as your documents are in order, you’ll have a passport just a few hours later.


Can the Congressman help you my a friend/relative visit the US? 

Most foreign nationals must get a Visitor Visa before entering the US by applying at a consulate or embassy abroad. The Congressman may write to foreign posts with information about an applicant that may be helpful in getting approval however, a letter from a Member of Congress is not a guarantee of visa issuance. The most common reason for denial is an applicant’s failure to overcome the assumption that he or she will remain in the US. The Congressman cannot help expedite an application through security clearance.


I received an email claiming I won a Green Card lottery, is it a scam?

Fraudsters will frequently email potential victims posing as State Department or other government officials with requests to wire or transfer money online as part of a “processing fee.” You should never transfer money to anyone who e-mails you claiming that you have won the Diversity Visa (DV) lottery or been selected for a Green Card.


I heard there have been changes to immigration law for people who were brought to the U.S. as children, and remain undocumented and without legal status. Is this true?

The law has not changed, and the DREAM Act has not been passed, but the Obama Administration has changed how they implement immigration law for certain individuals. Starting on August 15, 2012, some young undocumented people became eligible to apply for deferred action and work permits. These young people must meet numerous entrance, residence and educational criteria, and Citizenship and Immigration Services has reliable and factual information in both Spanish and English.


Travel and Immigration Resources

If you need general travel information or guidance:

Transportation Security Administration (TSA)

FAA Airport Status and Delays

Travel Resources (U.S. State Department)

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)

Customs and Border Protection (CBP)


If you need information about how to apply for or renew your passport:

Passport Information (U.S. State Department)

Passport Application Information (U.S. Postal Service)


If you need information about your immigration application or immigration help:

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) – Formerly known as Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS)

Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants (USCIS)

Office of Equity and Human Rights (City of Portland)

Refugee Program (Oregon Department of Human Services)

Refugee Service Areas (Oregon Department of Human Services)

List of Pro Bono Legal Service Providers in Oregon (U.S. Justice Department)