Veterans, Reserves, and Active Military

If you have questions or concerns regarding a specific issue or problem that you are having, please contact the Congressman’s Portland office at 503 231 2300 or use the contact form on our website.


Frequently Asked Questions

I am currently serving our country in the armed forces, and I am having difficulty receiving my pay correctly, receiving my signing bonus, or am experiencing difficulty with another problem that relates to my experience in the armed forces. I have contacted my chain of command, but no action is being taken. Can Congressman Blumenauer assist me with this difficulty?

Yes. Congressman Blumenauer assists personnel currently in the armed forces with a range of concerns that they are experiencing. These can range from pay or leave difficulties to working with the private sector to inform creditors of the Soldier and Sailor Civil Relief Act when a constituent is having difficulty getting employers to comply. Congressman Blumenauer's office can also assist constituents in the military with a variety of other concerns including child custody and emergency family leave issues.


I am having difficulty receiving a military record that I need, or receiving medals that I earned in service, or replacements of medals that I earned in service. Can Congressman Blumenauer help me with this situation?

Yes. Congressman Blumenauer's staff works with the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, and is able to gain records more expediently than under normal circumstances. The Congressman is also able to help you receive medals that you have earned but never been awarded, or replacements for lost or stolen service medals.


I would like more information about the new education benefits provided by the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Where can I find information about this program and how can I apply?

As of August 1, 2009, the Post-9/11 GI Bill provides eligible individuals with the opportunity to receive graduate and undergraduate degrees, vocational/technical training, on the job training, tutorial assistance, and licensing and certification test reimbursement. The Department of Veterans Affairs maintains an up-to-date website dedicated to helping veterans access these benefits. Please visit this site to learn more and see if the program is right for you and also contact the Veterans’ Services Coordinator at the institution you plan to attend for more specific information.


I am a Veteran and pursuing a claim with the Department of Veterans Affairs. Can Congressman Blumenauer assist me with the process?

Yes. My staff works with the Department of Veterans Affairs on a daily basis. We are happy to assist you with claims you are pursuing, including matters as simple as receiving an update about your case. Our close working relationship with the VA allows us to have information added to your file quickly, and we usually receive information about the progress of your claim within hours of an inquiry. Additionally, if your case has been outstanding for a considerable amount of time, an inquiry from my office can sometimes speed the processing so that you get the answers you need.


I am a Veteran and I am having difficulty getting an appointment or appropriate care at the Portland V.A. Medical Center. Can Congressman Blumenauer assist me with this issue?

Yes. My office maintains a working relationship with staff at the PVAMC and speaks to them on behalf of veterans on a regular basis. If there is an urgent situation, an inquiry from my staff can often reduce wait times for appointments or get you updates on your case. The staff at the VA Medical Center works very hard, but if you are not pleased with the care that you are receiving, my office can make inquiries with the PVAMC on your behalf.


I am a family member and urgently need to get a hold of a service member. What is the best way to contact him/her?

The most direct way to contact a service member, in cases such as a family emergency, is to contact Red Cross Emergency Services 1- (877) 272-7337


Veterans Resources

Download Current VA Federal Benefits Guide for Veterans, Dependents, and Survivors

Download Current VA Federal Benefits Guide for Veterans, Dependents, and Survivors (en Espanol)

Lines for Life provides a Military Helpline for those struggling with depression or substance abuse: 1-888-457-4838

Veterans Affairs

Oregon Department of Veterans Affairs

If you would like to contact the Portland VA Medical Center Patient Advocate’s Office, please call 503-273-5380.

Coalition for Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans


Service Organizations:

Service Officer Locator National Service Officers

Service Officer Locator Oregon State Veteran Service Officers

Service Officer Locator Multnomah County Veteran Service Officers


Reintegration Services:

Oregon National Guard Service Member and Family Support Program


Education Opportunities:

Montgomery and Post-9/11 GI Bills


Military Resouces

Selective Service System

United States Navy

United States Marines

United States Air Force

United States Army

United States Coast Guard