There are five military service academies in the United States. Through Congressman Blumenauer's office, you can apply for a nomination to four of the academies (the Coast Guard Academy does not require congressional nominations). You begin the application process by contacting the academies you wish to attend and starting a pre-candidate file with them. The academies are:
- U.S. Air Force Academy
- U.S. Military Academy at West Point
- U.S. Naval Academy
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy
Once you have contacted the academies, contact Congressman Blumenauer’s office and the offices of Oregon's Senators to begin the nomination process (Senator Wyden and Senator Merkley). You can also write Congressman Blumenauer at the address below or call the district office at 503-231-2300. Congressman Earl Blumenauer 911 NE 11th Ave, Suite 200 Portland, OR 97232. Please make sure you meet the important qualifications listed below:
- Must be at least 17 but not yet 22 years of age.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must not be married, pregnant or have legal obligation to support a child.
- Physical requirements vary according to academy.
- Academic record:
- Competitive academic achievement
- outstanding participation and performance in high school extra-curricular activities (athletic and non-athletic).
Air Force Academy
Colorado Springs, Colorado 80840-5651
Phone: (719) 472-2520
West Point Military Academy
Admissions Office Building
606 Thayer Road
West Point, NY 10996-1797
Phone: (914) 938-4041
USNA Admissions Office
117 Decatur Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-5019
Phone: (410) 293-4361
Merchant Marine Academy
Kings Point, NY 11024-1699
Phone: (516) 773-5391